The Spark Studio is designed to build the math, reading, self-regulatory, and social skills needed for success in the highly independent Acton Elementary Studio, or wherever their journey takes them next.
Our Spark heroes help establish the rules in their Studio and meet for weekly Town Hall meetings to identify, discuss, and vote on issues that affect them. They practice basic goal setting and complete challenges at their own pace to earn learning "badges" in math, reading, and citizenship. The rest of the time, they learn through exploration in a series of hands-on project Quests and present what they've discovered at an exhibition at the end of each Session.
Give your 4 to 7 year old the opportunity to:
- Learn through play and hands-on exploration
- Practice basic goal setting
- Identify issues and vote on solutions
- Move at his/her own pace in math and reading
- Strengthen self-regulation
Learning at Acton
Learn to Do
Hands-on learning for Science, Entrepreneurship and the Arts prepare children for Apprenticeships and real world challenges.
Learn to Learn
Socratic Discussions and self-paced challenges equip children to be independent lifelong learners.
Learn to BE
The Hero’s Journey, relational covenants and real world consequences transform difficult decisions into virtuous habits.
Every year at Acton, we build small businesses from the ground-up.
- Field trips and guest presenters to extend learning beyond the classroom.
- Outdoor space with playground, open grass area, and community garden.
- Student led PE with different activities every week.
- No homework or frequent testing.
- Fun and enriching family activities to foster a strong school community.
A Learner-Driven Community
- Students create and sign a Contract of Promises describing how each individual will act and the consequences for violating community norms.
- Mentor teams encourage younger and older students to listen, affirm, set goals and hold each other accountable.
- “Learn to Be” badges that celebrate character and completing leadership challenges.